trusted online jewelry stores

How to Judge Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real 92.5

How to Judge Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Is Real S925

sterling silver jewelry

If you are considering buying S925 /sterling silver and you are new to the jewelry industry, then you will no doubt want to know the difference between sterling silver and S925 sterling silver. Sterling silver is a popular metal used to make jewelry and other decorative items.

Well, sterling silver is not just made of silver. It contains 99.9% silver and small amounts of other metals such as copper. S925 Sterling silver, on the other hand, is made up of 92.5% silver and the rest is made up of copper (mostly copper). This is why sterling silver is often referred to as S925 sterling silver or just S925 silver.

The reason silver needs to be combined with other metals is that it is very difficult to use only sterling silver because it is very soft and malleable. A bit of hardness has to be introduced by adding other metals such as copper. That's why jewelers are able to make the most intricate and intricate designs using sterling silver.

Why do you need to learn how to differentiate?
Modern S925 silver sterling silver jewelry certainly doesn't come cheap. Whether you're buying a sterling silver pendant or a ring, it requires a substantial investment on your part. But it's a worthwhile investment because its value increases over time. It's important not to be tricked into buying fake sterling silver jewelry, though. "Source unknown".

This is a serious problem because many jewelers are known to sell fake sterling silver necklaces, rings, earrings, etc. S925 sterling silver is much cheaper than more expensive metals such as gold, however, there are plenty of imitation sterling silver jewelry imitations on the market.

For example, it is common to encounter silver-plated jewelry sold as genuine sterling silver jewelry. The silver content in these pieces of jewelry is extremely low and is bound to go bad, sooner or later.

Jewelry is considered sterling silver (or more) if it contains 92.5%, but sterling silver is too soft to be used without other metals. Therefore, copper and nickel are usually incorporated to make up the remaining 7.5%.

Silverplate, on the other hand, is different from real silver because only the surface of the jewelry is covered with real silver, while the rest of the items are made of copper or nickel alloys.

5 steps to help you determine if your sterling silver jewelry is genuine 92.5
"Hallmark" test
Check the silver jewelry around you for markings called "signs" (you may need a magnifying glass for this). The imprint of the number "S925" indicates that this jewelry piece contains 92.5% sterling silver. Other markings may be "Sterling Silver", "Ster" or "Sterling". Marks can usually be engraved on a larger portion of a jewelry piece.

Vintage S925 Silver Logo

"Magnet" Test
Hold a regular magnet over or near your jewelry. Sterling silver is not magnetic, so if your jewelry is attracted to a magnet, it's not true sterling silver or more. The alloys made from your jewelry may have different composition percentages.

"Weight" test
Another easy way to tell if your jewelry is genuine S925 S925 sterling silver is to compare it to an item of similar weight known to be made of genuine silver. If the weight is the same, your silver jewelry is more likely to be genuine.

"Science" test
Here you have to pretend to be one of the MythBusters members. Wrap around some goggles and gloves and wear them. Then add a drop of nitric acid to a small portion of the silver in the jewelry. If it turns green, it is not made of sterling silver. Nitric acid is a chemical with a high copper content that can discolor non-silver items.

"easy test" test
easiest last. Try dabbing silver jewelry with a soft, light-colored cloth. If there are black marks on the cloth, the jewelry is probably sterling silver. Real silver will oxidize when exposed to air; this will create the rust feeling that appears on the cloth when wiping.

At JIMMY JEWELLRY JJ we pride ourselves on our outstanding S925 sterling silver jewelry crafts. That's why starting many years ago we mark all our jewelry pieces with the S925 mark as a proof of authenticity. Additionally, we undergo various audits and lab tests to demonstrate our quality transparency. For your next silver jewelry order, choose JIMMY JEWELLRY JJ jewelry.
We work hard for amazon,shopee, ebay,walmart,best buy,target,newegg,shopify ,aliexpress, wish, lazada,smercado libre ,flipkart ,yandex market ,sears, trade me , yahoo shopping, tesco,coupang,, ozon, facebook, ins, otto, jumia, la redoute.
Provide S925 NECKLACE,S925 EARRING,S925 BRACELET ,S925 RING with reasonable price, good quality and factory price
Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.